Because everything is different now, we are moving to a different stage in the Acrostic format...starting with the seond letter and ending at the first of the alphabet!
Craft your entry beginning with the phrase above, work your way through to Z, then end with A. Do pay close attention to including all 26 letters as sentence openers. Either too few or too many sentences will disqualify your story. For your narrative, avoid racist, sexist, or ageist themes or obscene language. Guided by the rules, the judge picks three winners and up to three honourable mentions, all of whose authors receive a year's subscription to The Leaf. Half the entry fees are divided among the three winners, and all stories recognized are published in the spring issue.
Rules: Only entries which conform to the rules will be judged.
1. Contest is open to any writer. Entrants under the age of 18 must have a parent or responsible adult sign their entry form.
2. Stories entered must be original, unpublished work created by the entrant, not previously entered in this contest.
3. Stories may not be longer than 26 sentences. The first sentence must begin Because I can.... Following sentences must begin with words following the sequence of the English alphabet, then ending with an A sentence. Any subject or theme is acceptable, provided there is no profanity, obscenity, ageism, racism or sexism.
4. Entries must be typed or computer-printed on one side only of 8.5 x 11 white paper. Please use a plain font, and do not add any graphics or other embellishments.
5. Send TWO copies of each story, with the entry form attached to one copy. The writer's name must NOT appear on the pages of the story.
6. Entry fee is $5.00 for each story. Cheques or money orders are the safest way to send fees through the mail. Please make them payable to The Brucedale Press. NOTE – If you are also subscribing to The Leaf, you may use VISA or MasterCard for your payment.
7. Entries must be received by postal mail only no later than January 31, 2021. The Brucedale Press accepts no responsibility for entries lost or delayed in the mail. No entries will be returned unless a self-addressed envelope with proper Canadian postage (or IRC) is provided by the entrant.
8. Winners will be announced and published in the spring 2021 issue of The Leaf. Copyright remains with the creators. Prizes will be mailed to the addresses on winners' entry forms. Prizes may be withheld if, in the opinion of the judge, not enough suitable entries are received. During the judging process, the judge will not know who the writers are. The judge’s decisions are final.
First prize Twenty-five per cent of the entry fees. Second prize Fifteen per cent of the entry fees. Third prize Ten per cent of the entry fees. The judge may award up to three honourable mentions.
Authors of all published stories will receive a one-year subscription [two issues] to The Leaf.
Name on card ………………………………….. 3-digit code from back of card ………………
(Signature of parent/responsible adult if entrant is under 18 years of age)
Note: credit card payments processed in early February. Statements will show this transaction with Broad Horizons Books.These stories appear in the Spring 2021 issue of "The Leaf", along with the judge's